Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Books that aren't that great

Dear Bloggie,

I read a stupid book today. I know from the start that the book is stupid but I want to be optimistic about it and hope that it will not be as stupid as I think it will be.

I am disappointed. The book is stupid and I should have known better, it is from that author.

What do you mean by stupid books?

Honestly, I don’t have a good answer for that. I can't even begin to explain why I feel the need to have such a term as stupid book.

So if I know the book is like that, why I continue reading it?

Hmm...why indeed. I have this bad habit of finishing whatever book that I pick up especially if I have gone through halfway of it. Like I said before, I want to be optimistic about it. I have gone through the book before and at that time I think, “This is total bull,” but maybe I’ll think about it differently today.

To be fair, there are days that even good books feel like bad book to me especially when I've just finished reading an awesome book. All other book feels bad in comparison. So I want to give this book a chance seeing that this book might fall in the 'all other book feels bad in comparison' category.

But oh how wrong I am. I stand corrected.

This book that I read today is very demeaning to my intelligence. Mind you, by that, I never mean to claim that I’m intelligent or whatever but I can literally feel my IQ drops a couple of points while reading it.

What is so bad about it?

Firstly, the characterization is one dimensional. All the characters are like puppet. Though the book supposed to be highly emotional, I can't feel anything. The author just run away with it without any consideration on the plot, realty and the whole feeling of the outcome.

The sheer stupidity is astounding.

Secondly, it's making that kind of genre feels cheap. I remember liking this kind of writing when I was 10 years old. To my 20s years old self, it's like mistaken a tabloid for a real paper.

You sound angry about this.

I don’t know why I feel angry about this. Maybe because I spend a considerable amount of time on this book. Maybe because a crap author like her get to publish anything and set a standard for other writers when I know there are lots of genius writers out there that don’t have the chance that she have.

World missing out a lot on that.

Or maybe I'm angry because the book is so cheesy I almost puke my lunch and feels like stabbing my eyes with the fork. I’m so mad!



No comments:

Post a Comment