Monday, May 9, 2011

Letter to Kentang

Dear Kentang,

I dont know if this story has its significant or not.


But anyway, after our treatment yesterday, I singgah Jusco to buy mineral water and I suddenly teringat, I wanna buy a trackball. Err...do you know what a trackball is? It's the thing that kinda functions like a mouse, does what a mouse does but isn't actually a mouse. Yeah...


So, I masuk dlm satu kedai komputer. The salesboy was friendly enough and if I do say so myself (and I do say so), he looked like a K-pop wannabe. Seriously cute. I almost do a double take. Emphasized on the almost. Maybe I should go to that shop more often. Hehehehhahahaah


Anyway, we chatted for a bit about the trackball because he said, “Kite tak de stock meh. Kite punya suppplier itu Selasa baru datang.”


So, I said to him, how should I know that the trackball he mentioned is the same trackball that I want? So he suggested we googled it on his laptop. To his credit, while that trackball is not the exact same thing that I want, it is passable, so I said, “Sure, ok. Berapa? Takde discount kah?”


“Benda ini mana ada discount maa. Itu lagi, jarang customer beli ini barang,” was his anticipated reply. Stingy pot. But out of the blue—maybe he was being his friendly self—he asked me, "Nama apa? Sekolah kat mane?" while he wrote down my deposite and receipt.


Me, while feigning surprise, told him that there is in no uncertain way that I'm a student (Not in those exact word but you know what I mean). In fact, just to be pompous, “I teach”, I told him.


"Ya ka?" he said, "Umur berapa?" So sceptical this cute salesboy. I wonder if I should show him my I.D.


"Cuba u teka umur berapa?” I said that the way I always say everytime people ask me this kind of question; with glee.


“Er..saya tak tau meh. Saya salah teka nanti u marah. Tapi kalau u baru-baru masuk kedai tadi, I teka, I think u are less than 22,” he said with this serious expression like this wasn't just a friendly chat in your friendly computer shop in your friendly neighborhood.


This time I was the one who made a sceptical face. “Ya kah?” was my brilliant reply. “Saya dah 27,” I said, giving him an actual answer which when I thought later, actually was none of his darn business. Girl is supposed to be sensitive about age, ok?


“You tipu,” was his quick reply. How dare he accused me of being a lying liar who lied? I was tempted once again to show him my I.D but I kept my cool and informed him that no one actually paid me to lie to him so I didnt. Lie, I mean. (But of course, those weren't my exact words. What I actually said was, “Betul.”)


He didn't try to accuse me of being a liar again after that and we talked about when I can pick up my trackball. I was about to offer to call him on Tuesday to make confirmation when he beat me to it and said he'd call after the thing arrive. Okay, excellent customer service. “See you guys later,” was my good-bye to the salesboys.


I couldnt stop grinning after that. He might not know it, but that conversation made my day. How often you find yourself being accused of lying about your real age and actually believe you are younger? Hahahah exactly.

No comments:

Post a Comment